7/21/14

i was there || pitchfork music festival

Show: Pitchfork Music Festival
Beck
Giorgio Moroder
Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks
Sun Kil Moon
Sharon Van Etten
The Haxon Cloak
Neneh Cherry
Danny Brown
Tune-Yards
The Range
Cloud Nothings
Empress Of
Hudson Mohawke
Grimes
Slowdive
Majical Cloudz
Real Estate
Jon Hopkins

Location: Union Park

Date: 7.18.14-7.20.14

Favorite Song: Hearing "Debra" live kind of made my weekend. Also loved Beck's cover of "I Feel Love" by Donna Summer.

Memorable Moment: Beck was definitely the highlight for me. I am no Beck super fan but I have always likeed his stuff. This show made me realize just how many great songs he has. Honorable mention probably has to go to Jon Hopkins. That guy is a total treat in any setting. I saw him a few months ago at Lincoln Hall which is also a less-than-ideal setting but he killed it there too. The Range, Danny Brown, Grimes, + Slowdive were also enjoyable too.

Biggest Letdown: Pitchfork? More like Linefork... Seriously though, I don't remember the line situation ever being so bad, especially to get in. Majical Cloudz's equipment problem was a big letdown too. I was really looking forward to that set going into the weekend + it was a total mess. Nothing however could top the awfulness of Giorgio Moroder's set though. I was so embarrassed for both him + Pitchfork on that one. It was the worst set I've ever seen at a festival + no super-imposed graphics on the big screen was going to help that.

This Show: Wasn't as solid of a Pitchfork experience for me from previous years but it was still enjoyable. It was a combo of both how I tackled the weekend as well as the acts themselves. I got to the festival a little later in the day + I also left early on Saturday to head to Phish but a lot of the music just didn't quite do it for me either. I didn't learn about as many new acts as I had hoped + some of the ones I was excited to see were just boring. Pitchfork still holds a very special place in my heart though + I'm anxious to see what they throw at me next year. You can always expect interesting headliners at the very least.

No comments:

Post a Comment