9/1/15

i was there || lollapalooza

My new friend. Poor guy was not doing so hot.

Show: Lollapalooza
Father John Misty
Hot Chip
War On Drugs
Alabama Shakes
Gary Clark Jr.
Paul McCartney
The Weeknd

Location: Grant Park

Date: 7.31.15

Favorite Song: My first set of the festival was Father John Misty + I made it to the stage just in time to hear two of my favorites -- "Nothing Good Ever Happens At the Goddamn Thirsty Crow" as well as "Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings." Not necessarily my absolute favorites of the day but they made for an excellent start to the day.

Memorable Moment: Hot Chip was definitely the set that livened up the day. After hearing mostly new songs at their Milwaukee show I was pleasantly surprised to hear them play pretty much all fan favorites. These guys (+ one very cool chick drummer) never get old.

Biggest Letdown: Timing didn't pan out great for this festival. I hustled all the way to the south stage to catch Alabama Shakes' set only to meet them with technical difficulties. Later, the plan was to catch Paul McCartney + then head to The Weeknd before exiting the park. The beginning of Paul McCartney's set was a bit of a snoozefest as he tried to push some of his newer songs so we hiked our way back north to see The Weeknd only to be confronted with major delays to their set time. I wish I had reversed these plans. And this is why I hate Lollapalooza.

This Show: My first three sets of the day were performances I had already seen earlier that year. I would have loved to see someone new but with the lineup being as weak as it was this year I had no complaints seeing any of these three again. Even though I had just seen War On Drugs the night before I was glad to see a second set from them because I love them so much. Overall, not my favorite Lollapalooza, after parties included. I'm either outgrowing this festival or they need to do a better job luring me back in next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment